Re: finger-bombing

Tony Jago (tony@fit.qut.edu.au)
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 16:14:24 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Oct 1994, Anonymous wrote:

> What is the best way to keep someone from finger-bombing
> your site other than having fingerd cat /unix to stdout?
>
> (other than hosts.deny.  We have a person who fingers
> a user at our site from different hosts hundreds of times
> per hour)

  I would say that the person is fingering you from one host but is
  bounceing the finger off different hosts. For example:

              finger @host.to.attack@host.to.bounceoff

     example: finger @brolga.cc.uq.oz.au@archie.au

  I am not sure if this a "bug" or not but alot of system allow this sort
  of thing. HP-UX doesn't. SunOS does.

  Happy fingering!!!

---
Tony Jago, System Administrator,     E-Mail: T.Jago@fit.qut.edu.au
Faculty of Information Technology,      Web: http://www.fit.qut.edu.au/~tony
Queensland University of Technology.
Box 2434, Brisbane 4001, AUSTRALIA.            Problems should be mailed to:
Phone: +61 7 864-2573 Fax: +61 7 864-1959                help@fit.qut.edu.au